1800 762 872

Home Warranty Insurance for Construction Projects

Home Warranty insurance – HIAIS specialises in delivering high quality warranty services to the residential building industry.

HIAIS has the largest and highly experienced Warranty insurance team in Australia and has over the long term demonstrated a deep competence in delivering high quality warranty services and effectively managing our client’s business requirements through changing legislative environments.

Get a free Home Warranty Review now

Our expert brokers manage the complex paperwork and insurance services on your behalf. We work with your business to deliver: 

  • Efficient 24-48 hour delivery of certificates*
  • Best business case for desired increase in profile limits for existing builders
  • Advocacy - we work for you in providing advice and we attend to appeals of the respective Underwriting Committees.**
  • Eligibility submissions for new builders - we manage your Home Warranty submission application on your behalf to best achieve a speedy approval**

* Provided you have an approved profile with the insurer, and subject to peak periods

** In Victoria, HIAIS Acts as a Distributor/Agent of VMIA to provide DBI services and policies to Builders (and does not act in the capacity as a broker or agent of the Builder).

Home Warranty Insurance - Cover and Requirements

Currently in each state in Australia (except Tasmania), the Government determines the policy terms of Home Warranty insurance, manages its administration and is the sole underwriter. This means when insurance claims arise, the Government pays out the claim to the home owner.

If you are a licenced building contractor dealing directly with home owners, and you undertake work that is required to be warranted in your state, then you must purchase home warranty insurance prior to commencement of the work.

What does Home Warranty cover?

Home Warranty insures the home owner (either the original owner or subsequent owners) against:

  • Non completion of the building contract or defective works which are deemed by law to be the builder's responsibility, for a nominated warranty period.
  • Where your builder has died, disappeared or become insolvent; or 
    • In Victoria - for policies issued on or after 1 July 2015, your builder has failed to comply with a Tribunal or Court Order in the way described in the policy wording
    • In NSW - has their building licence suspended by NSW Fair Trading due to non-compliance with a money order made in favour of the homeowner by the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal or a court.
    • In WA, where a builder’s licence is cancelled or not renewed because the builder failed to satisfy the financial requirements prescribed in the regulations under the Building Services (Registration) Act 1991 (WA).

Legislation outlining the extent of Home Warranty insurance cover to the home owner varies across states, the following provides a brief comparison of the various state requirements:


Home Warranty Insurance

  • Any residential building work over the amount of $20,000 requires Home Warranty insurance.1
  • The insurance covers up to the amount of $340,000.
  • Period of Home Warranty cover for major defects is 6 years after completion of works, and 2 years cover for non-major defects 2

View NSW Home Warranty page

For more information visit the following NSW government websites: 




When applying for your Home Warranty Insurance certificate, you will be required to state the construction type for your project. Construction types are split into primary projects and secondary projects. View the infographics using the links below to find out the construction type for your project.

Primary projects
Secondary projects​

Fees and charges for NSW Home Warranty

Click on image below to enlarge

From 1 January 2021, icare HBCF have made changes to Home Warranty premiums, increasing rates for Construction Types C02, C03, C04 and C08 which are displayed below.


In NSW, builders can issue Home Warranty certificates for their own project, rather than the HIA Insurance Services team having to do this for you. Click below to find out more about the icare Home Building Compensation Fund (HBCF) Self-Service Portal.

The HBCF Builder Self-Service Portal is a convenient alternative to having your certificates issued by the HIA Insurance Services team and still involves our expert client service representatives reviewing and binding your certificates.

What will I be using the portal for?

1. Applying for certificates of insurance
You can now apply for your HBCF insurance certificate for new jobs online and track your applications through the self-service portal.

2. Complete a job
You can also complete an open project by selecting the policy number of an open job and adding a completion date to close the job.

3. View important information 

  • Eligibility assessment results
  • Certificate of eligibility
  • Next scheduled eligibility assessment
  • Summary of current projects
  • Snapshot of your maximum job allowance capacity
  • Quote on future insurance premiums
  • Current certificates of insurance  

How do I get access to the portal?
To gain access, you will need to appoint a self-service portal manager within your business and send us their full name, mobile number and email address to au.hiais@aon.com. The portal manager can then appoint clerical users in your business to perform basic tasks, who will not have access to sensitive information about your business.
As your broker, we will arrange to have HBCF provide your self-service portal manager with their login details.
Visit the icare website to find out more and take a look at the portal.

1.Source: https://www.icare.nsw.gov.au/builders-and-homeowners/builders-and-distributors/apply-for-insurance/#gref
2.Source: https://www.icare.nsw.gov.au/government-agencies/our-funds-and-schemes/home-building-compensation-fund/#gref.


Domestic Building Insurance (DBI)

  • Any building work over the amount of $16,000 requires Domestic Building Insurance.
  • The insurance covers up to the amount of $300,000.
  • Period of Home Warranty cover is 6 years after completion of work (non-structural 2 years).
View DBI VIC Page


Home Indemnity Insurance

  • Any building work over the amount of $20,000 requires Home Indemnity Insurance.
  • The insurance covers up to the amount of $100,000.
  • Period of Home Warranty cover is 6 years after completion of work.

For more information visit www.commerce.wa.gov.au


Building Indemnity Insurance

  • Any building work over the amount of $12,000 requires Building Indemnity Insurance.
  • The insurance covers up to the amount of $150,000.
  • Period of Home Warranty cover is 5 years after completion of work.

For more information visit www.cbs.sa.gov.au 


Residential Building Insurance

  • Any building work over the amount of $12,000 requires Home Warranty insurance.
  • The insurance covers up to the amount of $85,000.
  • Period of Home Warranty cover is 6 years after completion of work.

For more information visit www.actpla.act.gov.au 

NB: All information and limits noted in the above table are provided for comparison only and current as at the date of publication to the best of our knowledge. Full details in respect to the complete state requirements should be sought from your state government authority. HIAIS provides this information for general information purposes only.  It is not intended to be comprehensive, nor does it, or should it (under any circumstances) be construed as constituting legal advice. You should seek independent legal or other professional advice before acting or relying on any of the content of this information. HIAIS will not be responsible for any loss, damage, cost or expense you or anyone else incurs in reliance on or user of any information contained on this page.

Statutory warranties

The statutory warranties require the builder to perform work:

  • In accordance with the plans and specifications in the contract
  • In a proper manner
  • Using good and suitable materials
  • Using new materials unless otherwise stated
  • In accordance with laws
  • Within the time specified in the contract
  • So as to be fit to be occupied when completed; and
  • So as to live up to any result agreed it must achieve.

Home Warranty insurance for licensed builders and contractors


Obtaining eligibility

Whether seeking home warranty insurance for the first time or reviewing present arrangements, builders are required to present applications and documentation to obtain eligibility from an insurer.

The level of turnover sought can vary the process.

Pricing can only be determined once the insurer has assessed your application.

We recommend you talk to one of our experts who can assist you to choose the product best suited to your business. Ph: 1800 762 872.